Re: HID lights for R1100s

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:39:30 -0500, rennsport@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> <snip>
> Now my question is, is there an AUX HID lighting kit available? This
> should be legal...
> <snip>

I have been searching for a HID Aux light kit for the R1100S bikes for
months without any luck.

Hella makes HID lights in two different models which might work well.
One is their DE Xenon and the other is their Micro Xenon. The former
are small round lights which resemble their Micro Fog lights. Someone
makes a kit with a light bar containing the DE Xenon lamps for the GS
models. I think Touratech carries them and I know that the BMW dealer
who came to the Wisconsin Dells ralley this year carries them because
he had a set there. They are about $750.00.

The Micro Xenons are small pendant rectangular lights and need to be
mounted in a vertical or pendant position. There is a fellow on the
IBMWR list who has posted some pictures of his homemade mounts on a
different model (can't remember which...suffering from ARMI) I do
recall that he had a friend make some custom delrin plastic blocks to
which he attached the lights and drilled some holes in the fairings and
attached the blocks. I am considering doing the same sort of thing on
my R1100SA and mounting them to the fairing just under the turn signal
lamps.

The R1100SA fairing has a duct on the left which passes under the area
of the turn signal lamp while the right side does not and the outer
surface curves appear to be different and complex so it will not be an
easy task.

Here is a link to the Hella light tunnel showing how the various lights
perform. Unfortunately it appears to only work in IE.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_en/
ProductsServices/ForDriversAccessories/LightTunnel/XenonDrivingLapms/
XenonDrivingLapms.jsp

cheers...jack R1100SA Colchester Connecticut USA