Re: oilheads-digest V1 #30

> From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Battery vs. Tender
>

> Battery Tenders make good float chargers, but very bad "battery chargers". Give
> the battery a full charge on a real battery charger, then maintain the battery
> on the float charger.
>
> If the battery is toast (won't take/hold a charge), use your CrossCountry towing
> coverage to either jump start the bike, or tow the bike to the dealer for them
> to replace said battery under warranty. I keep all 5 Beemers on Battery Tenders
> year round, and they are always ready to start.
>
> Jim
> microdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> '99 R1100RT '99 F650 '98 R1200C '88 R100GS '78 R80/7
> BMW MOA, RA, ABC

I've used my genuine Battery Tender brand charger to charge both
automotive and motorcycle batteries. If the battery is in good shape,
the tender will charge it, although rather slowly in the case of an 1100
CCA truck battery. I've been told to never use an automobile charger on
a motorcycle battery. Moto batteries need a trickle charge and an auto
charges pushes too many amps for the moto battery.

Greg
'95 R1100RS