Re: old design was  oilheads-digest V1 #47

In a message dated 1/5/04 10:07:16 AM, cliddell@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The bucket and shim and similar designs end up putting side thrust on the
> valve stem itself, with obvious ill effect.   Also, once having measured
all
> the clearances, and referred to the tables for the correction shim in each
> position then you have to dismantle and remove the camshaft to actually
> change them.

Actually, The inverted bucket and shim design places zero side thrust on the
valve stem and this is but one reason it is used in all superbike engines.
For a DIY'er, checking BMW valves is no big deal, and mine have held
tolerance for the last 20K mi. For the non-adventurous who rely on a dealer to
do
service, pulling cams every 90 to 120K mi may actually cost less than 6 K mi.
adjustments, especially if you own a Ducati!
I've had BMWs for the last 28 years and love the feel and sound of the boxer
twin (I had an early '77RS and a '78 Belgian Police RS both with 40 mm
exhausts - none sounded better), but the latest iteration engine is part
modern and
part band-aided IMO, mostly due to the basic design (boxer twin) not being
amenable to modern needs of HP, emissions, and maintenance.