Re: old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47

On Tuesday, Jan 6, 2004, at 21:59 US/Eastern, Steve Makohin wrote:

> I suspect that BMW Motorrad also stared "from the basement as far as
> sales go". Don't they all? How does this relate to our discussion at
> hand?

No BMw started from the ground floor by managing to keep dealers open
into the early 80s selling selling tired old airhead bikes. Ducati all
but shot themselves in the foot in the same time frame with major
quality control issues.

>> What about BMW targeting the women riders? The fast growing segment of
>> the moto public. Is that not to increase market share?
>
> What about it? So far you have not demonstrated a causal relationship.
> Here's an example of why this is the case:

Snip...

> To bring this back into the context of my response to your comments, I
> have seen no indications that BMW Motorrad has a corporate objective of
> increasing global or North American motorcycle market share (mind you,
> am not arguing for this point, so I have not dug for it either). If you
> have something that _proves_ that BMW has adopted this objective,
> please
> share. Any official BMW statement or document to this effect would
> suffice.

Well lets suppose that BMW manages to grab 70% of the female rider
population, would this not raise their market share the slightest bit
(assuming of course that 70% is a significant figure in itself)? I do
not see the asian big three addressing women riders.

I doubt they will do this as their bike for women is way overpriced for
a 650 thumper. Maybe they can sell them all R1200 cruiser models...

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special