RE: old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47

On 1/7/04 12:15 AM, ABSDoug2@xxxxxxxxxxx ABSDoug2@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]
[...]

We're talking about entirely different things. I was only addressing
Roberts comment that "Ducati started from the basement as far as sales
go." My response was:

  "I suspect that BMW Motorrad also stared "from the basement as far
   as sales go". Don't they all?"

When BMW Motorrad started up, as an ex-airplane manufacturer, they
started up "from the basement as far as [motorcycle] sales go." I find it
inconceivable that there were BMW Motorrad sales before BMW Motorrad
started up, or that when BMW Motorrad started up, there were massive
orders on hand before the first motorcycle rolled off the assembly line.
I am prepared to be "set straight" if anyone has information proving the
contrary.

><<< Apple has corporate objectives to increase _sales_, not
>market share. >>>
>
>	Making money now, rather than constantly having to reinvest
>to POSSIBLY make more money latter. Makes sense to try to do
>both at the same time, which BMW seems to be doing. Still
>business tend to want to make money now if the can.

Again, to refocus, my statement is that I have seen no evidence that
proves that BMW has a corporate objective of increasing their Motorrad
market share. I don't link this statement with "money now vs money later"
philosophies. I'm using Apple Computer Inc of another company who has
done the same for close to a decade.

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin