Re: Brand Awareness (was: "old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47")

On Wednesday, Jan 7, 2004, at 11:40 US/Eastern, Steve Makohin wrote:

> I will stop you here to interject and reposition your statement in a
> more
> accurate fashion, thus: "Maybe BMW wants to remain a niche player
> selling
> motorcycles at premium prices that do not compete on a peak horsepower
> basis."

Nah, I like my sentence better. But i will change the word "inflated"
to over-priced.hat way we can avoid the economics lesson.

:-)

And i will add as i should have before they are underpowered for the
weight they haul around and for the price they ask. Now I will say that
used BMW bikes are the best value around. i bought both of mine used at
good prices.

> There are many other differences, too. And upon examination of these
> differences, we will see that both Ducati and BMW Motorrad are
> "justified" in their premium pricing. For example:
>
>   o Ducati is a multi-time race winner, and as such, has earned a lot
> of
>     prestige amongst motorcycle fans who are interested in performance
>     (or looking like the guys who win races).
>
>   o Ducati is also perceived as The Ferrari Of Motorcycles. There is a
>     lot of "Exotic" prestige associated with the Ducati brand of sports
>     bikes.

And in BMWs case, the old saying comes to mind, "What have you done for
me lately?"

>   o BMW motorcycles are perceived to be very reliable, and very
> durable.

After bending an oilhead rim and $800 later on a small "scrubout" I
wonder. I am sure that the rims on my k bike would have fared better.

>> ...As far as sport touring models
>> go, Ducati's ST4 is less expensive than BMW K1200RS or R11RS. The same
>> goes for Aprilia, another niche player.
>
> In one of your examples, we are making an "apples to oranges"
> comparison

I was comparing sport touring motorcycles from three different
companies, not exactly apples and oranges.

> So what exactly is the point you want to make in your posting?

That there are other options in the sport touring realm of motorcycles
with better value.

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special