Re: Brand Awareness (was: "old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47")

On Wednesday, Jan 7, 2004, at 13:14 US/Eastern, Steve Makohin wrote:

> For MANY answers to this question, refer to the responses on the
> "other"
> list where people provided a flood of answers to the question "why do
> you
> ride a BMW motorcycle." It appears that BMW bikes tickle a lot of
> people's fancy. Much fewer than Honda, per se, but still a fair number
> of
> people.

Well the "other" list for the most part have sold their soul to BMW,
not exactly an unbiased opinion.

:-)

> The part I wrote, which you did not quote, shows the fair
> identification
> of an "apples to oranges" comparison. For review:
>
>   Robert: ...As far as sport touring models go, Ducati's ST4 is less
>           expensive than BMW K1200RS...
>
>   Steve:  ...In one of your examples, we are making an "apples to
>           oranges" comparison of a 130 hp 4-cylinder BMW K1200RS
>           versus a 117 hp 2-cylinder Ducati ST4s, so I am not sure
>           what your point is.

The comparison is between sport-touring bikes from different companies.
What part of that do you not see?

> I stick to my original statement that I am not sure what conclusion you
> want the readers to come to with such a "comparison".

See above.

> Without a doubt (depending on how you define value)! Honda arguably
> provides an even better "value" than premium motorcycle manufacturers
> do.

That is very arguable, especially considering some of the awful Honda
dealerships that are in business.

> Quite a while ago, for example, Honda publicly stated that their
> intention was to dominate each segment of the motorcycle market. They
> have not achieved that goal yet, but they are well on the way do doing
> that (I don't know if it is possible for Honda to dominate some
> markets,

Yes connsidering some of their own countrymen are producing bikes that
rival alot of what Honda produces.

> You accurately state "That there are other options in the sport touring
> realm of motorcycles with better value [than BMW's]." I say that this
> only matters to BMW if BMW's sales are cannibalized because of their
> competitors' products. It appears not to matter much to most BMW
> riders,
> either.

By that last sentence you imply repeat sales. What about new customers
who see the Honda VFR, Yamaha FJ 11300, etc?

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special