RE: oilheads-digest V1 #62

<<< -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Mike Eyre
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 12:12 PM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: oilheads-digest V1 #62

but GM stuck with the pushrod engine in the corvette and proved
that a quality, powerful, worldclass engine /could/ be made with
'old
technology' >>>
	Mike, all,
	The Corvette ZR1 proved that the consumers were not willing to
pay the cost of a modern DOHC V-8. The ZR1 had a LOT more
potential than what can be squeezed out of a pushrod V-8. I also
think unfortunately, the NASCAR crowd has to have a certain
sound. The mystic of the Corvette name comes secondary to
technology. Hell I fell for it years ago! The Acura NSX, the last
model Mazda RX7 were more "real" sports cars then the pushrod
Corvette. I wonder how long a 400> HP pushrod engine compares
with the rest of the field in durability?
 The Mustang seems to sell well though I haven't looked at actual
sales numbers. The Mustang has DOHC. I think another problem with
the ZR1 was the technicians qualified to work on the engine. Cost
and down time shipping engines around... that all factors in.
Bottom line for me is the Corvette is like a Buel... they are
really cool, except the engines.