New Design-Reflections & Observations

When I posted to the list about the new GS1200 I was criticized for
using the words radically redesigned when referring to the new
innovations incorporated in the new bike. From the tone of the list
lately it seems as though some members are looking for a motorcycle
completely different from the opposed twin boxer. They want a super
light weight machine capable of power enough to pull wheelies and put
all the machines from Japan to shame. That would qualify as. "radically
redesigned".

Since it's inception BMW made twin cylinder opposed engine motorcycles
and continued for the next 80 years. It's true that they have EVOLVED
into the Oilhead of today. To say that BMW has not been an innovative
company is not true. I believe that they were the first to have
telescopic forks they were one of the few manufactures of that era to
have shaft drive not to mention double leading shoe front brakes. In
more recent times ABS, adjustable ergonomics, great front and rear
suspension systems, environmentally friendly exhaust etc etc. I maintain
that within the boxer tradition these new innovations are radical
improvements. That's not to say that the bikes a perfect, far from it.
My 96 RT has had more than it's share of problems including A new
transmission, clutch problems, 3 lost saddle bags and bent rims. In my
opinion none of these problems should have happened from a manufacturer
of world class vehicles. If I remember correctly when the police started
buying RT's the rims received a hardening process.

Why do I and others ride BMW's boxers?  I
guess we just like them. I've had five since 1952. I like the relaxed
cadence of the engine. It never annoys me. The exhaust tone is never
annoying. The engine's power while not the greatest in motorcycling
deliverers plenty of torque which makes the bike a delight to ride and
the handling is great. And if the truth be known it goes fast enough to
scare the HELL out of me!!!!.

One observation I've made over the years is that the lighter the
motorcycle the more fun it is to ride. At one time I had a 400cc RD
Yamaha 2 stroke. Every time I rode it I came home with a smile on my
face. It was fun. When I decided I needed a larger bike capable of two
up riding and carrying luggage I chose BMW. To me it seemed to be the
lightest sport touring bike on the market that would meet those
criteria.

Finally, would I buy another BMW, probably not.
While I love the bike I can't stand the arrogance of BMWNA. They don't
admit when problems are present, they don't respond to phone call and
letters and they are closing dealers. It's an attitude that says, "
Customer be damned".

Thanks for reading one mans opinion.

 Ken Ahrweiler
 New Hyde Park