Re: oilheads-digest V1 #49

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <rennsport@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: oilheads-digest V1 #49

wrote:

> > .
> >
> > Actually, BMW's "soft rims" are a good example of good engineering. If
> > collision with a pothole, or a curb, or a chunk of road debris is
> > unavoidable because of traffic conditions, or weather conditions, or
even
> > careless driving, etc., the forces of that collision WILL be dissipated
or
> > absorbed by something. The $64 question is HOW. A bent rim can occur on
> > car or truck with huge steel wheels just as it can on a slim, trim
aluminum
> > alloy MC wheel. An alternative to bending the rim might be cracking the
rim,
> > bending the forks, breaking a shock/spring mount, etc. Cracking a rim
could
> > cause spontaneous deflation of the tubeless tire wrapped around that
wheel.
> > Which do you prefer?
> >

> True, but, the 3-spoke rims are too soft and with too large a space
> between the spokes. I have never had this problem with the K bike rims.

.... and neither I nor thousands of other riders have had any problem with
BMW wheels. They are not "too soft" for my preferences; they are just right.
The spokes are also. When I wash my RT, my wheel brush fits perfectly
between the spokes of my completely straight 3-spoke BMW alloy rim. If the
spokes were any closer together, I would have to find a thinner brush.  ;^))

Jim
microdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'99 R1100RT '99 F650 '98 R1200C '88 R100GS '78 R80/7
BMW MOA, RA, ABC, NFO #3