Re: Trailering

In a message dated 1/21/2004 7:41:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, Bmsdcr@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Who here has pulled a trailer with their R1100? I have an R27 I would like
> shuttle to nicer locals but don't want to use the pickup truck. So
> mid-winter
> blues dictates I design a trailer to pull the R27 behind the RS. The bike
> weighs about 350lbs. Outside a hitch I figured I would install a 33:11 rear
> drive
> to help out. Anybody have any recommendations for which hitch to buy or any
> other wisdom.

I was considering trying to trailer a 1980 Suzuki 450 (< 380#) from Oklahoma
to Tennessee with a GL1200/Goldwing (>800#). A good friend who has been around
bikes since he was a kid (neither of us are now) practically begged me to not
do it. He would have loaned me a truck for the 1800 mile round trip rather
than me try to pull a small bike with a larger bike. I took my truck.

I've seen people pulling things like canoes as well as the standard trailer.
I guess there must be a cutoff somewhere that is considered unsafe (some might
say ANY trailer is unsafe, but I guess we'll save that for another day). I
don't know where that cutoff is.

Geoffrey Greene
R100RS Big
R1100RS Bigger