Re: Valve Adjustments

Gary wrote:
>"Time required: Twice as much. Four valves instead of two per cylinder.
;-)"

To which Clive responded:
>I have found that, often, no adjustment is necessary so time may be the
same

I second Clive. The oilhead retains adjustment FAR better than my airheads
ever did. But even if you have to make a change, I find the oilhead
adjusters are much easier to get right on the first try, so that even if
you have to adjust every one, it takes no more time than doing half as many
on an airhead. And yes, much more pleasant having rocker covers with
outward-facing allen-head bolts vs. small nuts wedged between cooling fins
and exhaust header nuts...I'd drop at least one into the oil pan, every
time, guaranteed.

At any rate, yes, if you can do an airhead you can do an oilhead, no sweat.

John Dancoe '93 R11RS

p.s. The one thing I do miss is after doing my airhead valves I'd run the
engine with the covers off and verify good oil flow over the valves (plus
it was just way cool to watch). Tried that on the oilhead, ONCE...the cam
chain slung oil halfway acrosss the garage...