Re: oilheads-digest V1 #111

On 2/23/04 9:06 AM, Edward Begley edbegley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>I'd love to run a test on tires with guys that claim they can tell the
>>difference between them.  In such a test I'd almost bet the farm that
>>most(in fact hugely most 90% plus) COULD NOT identify correctly which tire
>>brand they had on.

I think for me the keys are profile and predictability in sliding.  I
prefer a constant radius profile and disliked the triangular profiles
that some tires had. "Falling in" to corners is not my idea of fun, and
since I don't spend all my time leaned way over, that doesn't work for
me. I have found in the past that Dunlops and Metzelers begin to slide
in a gradual, predictable and controllable way, and that Michelins let
go abruptly but were not uncontrollable. Now that knowledge is old and
the tire companies are constantly reformulating their compounds, so I
cannot say that my perceptions from the past still hold true. Certainly,
at legal speeds the differences matter little, but at elevated speeds
they are more noticeable.

Bob