Re: Spline Lube

On 2/26/04 10:55 AM, Seth Miller smail@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Maybe if it was necessary to split our cars in half every
> > couple of years to lube the drive shaft  we'd think doing
> > that to our motorcycles was an acceptable maintenance
> > requirement.
>
>Great comment...
>
>Also has me wondering... since the engine/transmission power transfer
>mechanism (splined shaft) is essentially the same in either a manual
>transmission car or a BMW motorcycle, why isn't is necessary to perform
>this type of maintenance in a car and why is it necessary for the bikes?

It's different in car vs motorcycle: the BMW Paralever design is such
that the pivot point is designed in a way that necessitates the
elongating and shortening of the drive shaft, and therefore requires a
spline. My understanding is that this does not occur in a car which has a
fixed-length drive shaft and universal joints connecting the bits
together.

The good news, assuming that the new GS is painting a picture of things
to come, is that BMW redesigned the Paralever with a pivot point that is
colocated with the rear universal joint, and therefore does not require a
spline (and it loses some weight, too).

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin