Re: Spline Lube

Steve,  The drive shaft in a rear wheel ddrive car has a spline where
it enters the transmission.  They are typically about 6 inches long and
most certainly do move with the action of the rear suspension.  In BMW
cars, they usually have a two piece drive shaft with a center bearing
under the floor of the car.  Additionally, in manual transmission cars,
there is a spline for the clutch, just like on our bikes.  Every one I
have ever taken apart was dry.  This was, for me anyway, the reason I
replaced components.  The clutch got so hard to work that the cable
would snap, or the clutch would refuse to operate (in the case of
hydraulic linkage).  I never had ruined splines, but while the thing
was apart, I would replace the clutch parts.

On the new GS, if you look at the pictures at the front of the drive
shaft, you will see a bellows type of boot.  Guess what is inside?  I
think I know, but only time will tell.  You need a spline here, if only
to allow for expansion.

Bob Hadden '98RS