Re: Spline Lube

Hokay, well _that_ thread details a problem. It's disappointing to see
evidence that demonstrates, once again, that BMW is no better than any other
brand when it comes to manufacturing to a price point and calculating an
apparently acceptable failure rate for things that just shouldn't fail (or
at least not so soon). I know that this is the way of the world when it
comes to manufacturing a product at a reasonable cost but I can't
understand how this problem could persist for so many years through
so many redesigns. And to top it off BMW's official policy is that the
input splines don't need regular mantenance..?

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=247486&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

> or http://tinyurl.com/2kkcc
>
> Two input shaft/clutch spline failures, one at about 82K, one at about
92K.