Re: Maintenance Alert

On 3/1/04 7:48 PM, Bob Hadden kbhadden@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Most of us in the snow belt are getting bikes ready for the upcoming
>riding season.  I have nearly completed my spline lube job, which also
>included greasing up the starter motor and replacing the speedo cable.
>But there are several other items that many bikers skip due to lack of
>knowledge.  Here are a couple that come to mind:
>
>1 - Don't forget to change to summer air in your tires.
>2 - Also, the battery needs new water each year.  Pour the old out and
>flush with the hose before adding a new charge of water.
>3 - To get the motor ready for the demands of summer, be sure to run
>the engine for 30 seconds each week for the month before you put her on
>the road.
>4 - Use a pressure washer to get all the dust out of the wheel bearings.
>5 - Same for the throttle cables and clutch cable.  Get the hose right
>up close to the cable.  Remember, dust is our enemy.
>6 - The inside of the cat converter and muffler need special attention
>from the concerned biker.  I use acetone to get all the grease residue
>out of the cat before the first start up of the season.
>7 - WD40 is our friend.  I use it on the seat to protect the vinyl from
>the damaging summer sun.  It also works well to keep your riding boots
>water proof.
>8 - Use chain lube in the pressure can to lubricate the pivots on the
>rear view mirrors.  Works great.
>9 - We are supposed to change the brake fluid every year.  I get extra
>mileage out of mine by mixing the old brake fluid with the transmission
>oil.  Makes for easier shifts under load.
>10 - When putting in new brake fluid, be sure to shake the can fully
>before pouring into the master cylinder.

You forgot to mention:

 o Armor-All the tires to ensure the rubber stays a nice, deep black,
   and to protect it from the harmful rays of the sun.

 o Use WD-40 or a light machine oil to lubricate your nylon-lined
   cables after you get the dust out.

Bob, you are one scary dude.

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada