From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bob Hadden
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 5:48 PM
To: BMW BMW Oilhead List
Subject: Maintenance Alert

Most of us in the snow belt are getting bikes ready for the upcoming
riding season.  I have nearly completed my spline lube job, which also
included greasing up the starter motor and replacing the speedo cable.
But there are several other items that many bikers skip due to lack of
knowledge.  Here are a couple that come to mind:

1 - Don't forget to change to summer air in your tires.
2 - Also, the battery needs new water each year.  Pour the old out and
flush with the hose before adding a new charge of water.
3 - To get the motor ready for the demands of summer, be sure to run
the engine for 30 seconds each week for the month before you put her on
the road.
4 - Use a pressure washer to get all the dust out of the wheel bearings.
5 - Same for the throttle cables and clutch cable.  Get the hose right
up close to the cable.  Remember, dust is our enemy.
6 - The inside of the cat converter and muffler need special attention
from the concerned biker.  I use acetone to get all the grease residue
out of the cat before the first start up of the season.
7 - WD40 is our friend.  I use it on the seat to protect the vinyl from
the damaging summer sun.  It also works well to keep your riding boots
water proof.
8 - Use chain lube in the pressure can to lubricate the pivots on the
rear view mirrors.  Works great.
9 - We are supposed to change the brake fluid every year.  I get extra
mileage out of mine by mixing the old brake fluid with the transmission
oil.  Makes for easier shifts under load.
10 - When putting in new brake fluid, be sure to shake the can fully
before pouring into the master cylinder.

That's it for today

Bob Hadden '98RS