Re: GPS

Paige,

I bought the StreetPilot 2610 in December.   I read the manual, and still
reading them,  I am practicing when ever have the chance in the car. The
remote control is a great thing.  The Canadian Map v4 is OK but not the
greatest.  Auto-routing could use improvement.   For somebody who knows the
way where he's going  the auto-routing gives some funny ways, but, it gets
you there eventually.  It's a great thing no question about it.  Would have
been a tremendous help in my flying years.

Here is a question:
The other day I was riding around having the SP on the dashboard.  The
screen started to flicker between darker and lighter screen and eventually
settled at the brighter screen mode.  It was a sunny day.  By driving into
shaded areas then into sunshine may have caused the flickering??????
Did this happened to you too???

The 2610 is the talking one.  I love this and hope to hook it un to my
helmet if the promised wiring will ever get here.  I bought a lockable mount
from Touratech but because of the snow I cannot bring the bike into the
garage yet to start installation.

Thanks for the advises, I am glad that I bought it, what technology!!!!!!
Bob Silas
'94 R1100RS

> Robert,
> I too was worried about reading off the GPS at speed, and it did take some
getting use to.  I have a street pilot b&w and find it very easy to use and
very helpful.

> A few things perhaps that will help.
>
> If you pre-plot your route you are only looking briefly at turn directions
and they are very intuitive.  you can set it up like a map or in road sign
mode and it is a lot like driving on the interstate looking for your exit.

> In plain map mode you don't really "read" the maps as you more develope a
feel for where you are in the world.   It is hard to explain but the GPS
become a very transparent tool once you get over the Awe of the device.  I
drive with it no all the time and it is not more difficult to read than the
speedometer or tach.  It is just displaying roads and information, you can
interpet it as you want.

> There is however an real learning curve on them and to use one on a moving
motorcycle takes some time to learn.  And you should keep it simple unless
you are stopped.