Re: Oh, My Aching Back

Martin.  Let me preface this by agreeing with what Steve and Bob Minor
have said to you.  Also, I will confirm that I am a certified bad back
with the scars to prove it.

The most significant adjustment you can make to help your situation is
to exercise.  This is true almost regardless of what is causing your
back problems.  Also, if you are over weight, you need to fix that too.
  If you need help with proper exercise, there are a very few physical
therapists that can help you.  Also, Pilates and Swiss Ball type
exercises that strengthen the core muscles are what you want to
concentrate on.  If you don't do this, you will not get better.
Period.

On the bike, I would recommend the Mayer saddle, which I have.  Well
made and at a reasonable price.  Other than that, assuming you are of
within the normal range of height and inseam etc. I don't think you
will get much relief from changing the other items on the bike.  Make
sure you sit up straight.  No slouching allowed.

Good luck with what will be a life time effort towards good back health.

Bob Hadden '98RS