RE: Oh, My Aching Back

Martin,

Let me second Greg's suggestion regarding a chiroproctor. A couple of other
thoughts occurred to me:
First, I tested an R1100R before deciding on the RT. I found the riding
position cramped. The peg location combined with the bar postion left me
feeling "perched" on top of the bike, and my knees protested the bend almost
immediately. The RT doesn't give me that feeling, even with the seat in the
low poition. I start to feel cramped after 300 miles or so, but can walk it
off with a longer gas stop.
I have chronic back pain from some old disc injuries. It flared up on the
way to Redmond. I found a product called Back-A-Line at one of the vendors
and used it on the way home. Big help. It differs from other back supports
I've seen (but not tried) in that it has rigid supports that brace the
spine.
Bob Minor also mentioned Advil. That helps. I take two before I start out
and a couple more every 4 hours or so on long rides. Not magic, but it does
make a difference.
Final thought: head to your FLD and test ride a GS and a 1200C. They both
have significantly different riding positions than your R, but from very
different perspectives. You may get a hint about which syle might relieve
some of your problem. At the least, you'll have fun.

HTH,

Bob Covey
Thousand Oaks CA
96 R1100RT  Very Red
IBMWR, MOA, RA, BMWRT.COM

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."