RE: John Dancoe's new(ish) e-mail address

<<SNIP>>

> Here are the symptoms:
>
> 1. Doesn't want to idle. Bypass screws were pretty cruddy, so
> I cleaned them and shot cleaner into their orifices, but it
> didn't seem to help. I've backed them out ALL THE WAY and it
> barely makes a difference in idle speed.
>
> 2. Lots of backfiring, belching, missing and surge.
>
> 3. Down on power
>
> 4. Runs rough
>
> 5. Even harder to start than usual (it's ALWAYs been the
> worst-starting bike I've ever had).
>
> 6. Note, this engine got a dose of diesel-contaminated gas a
> few years back. At the time I drained the tank, replaced the
> filter, and put it back in service, and it ran well for the
> next couple seasons.

<<SNIP>>

Leaks around the intake spigot would definitely contribute to the problems you
describe.  You can remove the injectors from the TB and allow them to squirt
into a container to observe the spray pattern and get an idea if they are
filthy.  I'd just pull the injectors and take them to a injector service shop in
your area to have them ultrasonically cleaned and checked.  I've never heard of
anyone wearing out injectors but have known several to need to get them cleaned.
With your diesel fuel, the problem may have been expedited.  If you can't find
somebody to clean them in your area, there are numerous places you can send them
to be cleaned.  Need help finding one, ask and I'll look.

Davis Eichelberger
SW Virginia
96 R1100RT