Re: Ohlins shocks ... nightmare!

Doug,  The rear Ohlins preload can be adjusted without mashing things.
My brother did it on his, and I did it on mine.  You do have the pin to
get out of the way.  As I recall, I compressed the spring to get it out
of the way and then made the adjustment.  Will check with my bro on a
proper procedure and get back to the list.

Changing the preload three turns is a drastic change.  I would say that
one turn on the thread is a big enough adjustment for a trial.  By the
way, the rebuild requirement on these shocks has nothing to do with the
spring.  It is for the hydraulics inside.  If, after a year of use, you
are thinking the preload needs changing it is likely that you are just
needing a fine tuning rather than a major change.  On my front shock, I
ended up adding about a half turn on preload to get what I wanted.  It
is possible for the spring to get weak with age, but in one year, I
would call that a defective spring.

You can compensate for the wearing of the hydraulics by dialing up a
bit more rebound damping.  I think you should get four or five seasons
before really needing to rebuild.  If you are racing, you may need it
more often.

Bob Hadden '98RS