Re: Oil Change

On Apr 8, 2004, at 8:17 PM, Bob MacFarland <emoto1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >SNIP
> I don't usually chime in on things like this, but I feel compelled to
> say that I have known a lot of guys who for reasons unknown don't
> believe the torque specs designated by the engineers who designed the
> bike, or have somehow determined that some other torque spec is
> "better"
> than what the factory specifies. To each his own, I say, but deviating
> from the factory torque specs is, in my personal opinion, an extremely
> risky practice. No offense, Tom, I'm glad you've had good luck with
> your
> decision, but no way in hell am I going to follow your lead on this.
>
> Bob

Sorry for the late posting on this (Between Branson and a move I am way
behind on the lists)

FWIW, my '04 R1100SA came from the factory with what appeared to be a
copper washer as the "gasket" on the engine oil drain plug. So, it
causes me to wonder if perhaps the torque specs might be based on using
the copper gasket rather than the aluminum washers BMW sells as
replacement gaskets?

cheers.... jack, '04 R1100SA, Waterford, Connecticut, U.S.A.