- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bob Hadden

Doug,  Your last post on this suggests that you are unclear on
spring
rate vs preload.  Let's make an example.  Say it takes 100 pounds
force
to hold up the bike at the proper sag.  You could get a spring
rated at
1 lb/inch (this means it takes one pound force to compress the
spring
one inch) and compress it 100 inches to achieve this force.  Or,
you
could get a spring rated 100 lb/inch and compress is one inch.
They
both would hold the bike at the proper sag.  But, when you hit a
bump,
the two springs would have a very different response, wouldn't
they?
Also, the preload adjuster, with a travel of about 1/4 inch,
would have
very different affect.  So there are a very large number of
springs you
could use to achieve your goal here.  A knowledgeable vendor can
pick
this spring for you, but non of us have the experience needed to
make
the pick for ourselves.

End rant mode.

Bob Hadden '98RS