Re: 2 Plug R1100SA Top Speed...

In a message dated 5/24/04 10:42:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jackbunce@xxxxxxx writes:
<<No... that 90.1 is the output of my son's 600-cc Suzuki. Mine was only
putting out 76 rwhp which is below the 85 rwhp I would consider
nominal, i.e., crank HP - 15% . Take a look at the latest Motorcycle
Consumer News. They have an article about trying to achieve more
horsepower from an R1100S using bolt ons. They spent $1,250.00 or so
and ended up with only about 1.2 hp more than they started. That tells
me two things: BMW knows what they are doing, and the engine is
probably very susceptible to negative variations in output if one
deviates from the BMW recommended tuning parameters.>>

    In discussions with some of the guys involved in the BoxerCup series,
they are seeing about 89-91 RWHP from the R1100S using the Lazer exhaust and the
BMW-supplied special fuel injection control unit (Not available to the public.
Even the teams must return them after the race, I'm told.)

     I saw 86.9 from my R1100S. I think most Dynojet Dynamometers will show a
proper running R1100S to be somewhere from 85-90 HP. I am advised by a very
knowledgeable source that virtually every aftermarket exhaust for the  takes
away power from one part of the powerband and moves it somewhere else. For me,
that ain't worth the noise penalty.

    A tale with no major point: Friday morning I stopped at a traffic light
in Wilmington, Vermont. A couple with a little boy was on the sidewalk. The boy
had his hands pressed tightly over his ears. The mother said "He loves
motorcycles, but the noise hurrts his ears when they start up." I pointed out that
the engine was already running. She told the kid, who cautiously uncovered his
ears, but kept his hands ready in case I was fibbing... As I pulled away, I
noticed that he put his hands down.

Tom Cutter
2000 R1100S