RE: Exhaust Systems

Similar experience here.  I bought a used D&D Carbon setup for my '94
RS.  HP was probably up a bit, but it's impossible to tell w/o a dyno.
Most who proclaim a power increase likely do so because it sounds
faster, not because they can actually feel a difference.  Mine sounded
much "faster."  No big deal at speed, but like you, I didn't like the
negative attention in towns.

I pulled the muffler off and grafted a lightly used Yamaha R6 can (cheap
on eBay) to the D&D mid-pipe.  Lots of folks have done this, using a
mid-pipe designed for the bike and various stock sportbike cans.  This
one has an aluminum shell which nicely matches the silver tones of the
BMW mechanical bits.  The innards are made of titanium (for light
weight), and there's even a small catalytic converter disc on the inlet
side, so I can still claim to be somewhat green.

Now I don't have the stock cat cooking my boots and the tranny fluid,
I've dropped several pounds from stock, and I don't have to worry about
ever repacking the muffler.  Best of all, the sound levels are exactly
where they should be, IMHO.  More aggressive than stock, but nowhere
near the obnoxious D&D.  Putting it all together was a PITA, but well
worth it.

Hmmmm... I just finished putting FZ1 mirrors on the bike today (I can
actually SEE what's behind me now!).  Maybe I should've just started
with a Yamaha... Nah.

Eric Renneisen
'94 R1100RS
'88 R100RT