Re: Oilhead cylinder torque

Commenting on various messages...

 > This snippet below indicates to me that we should be torquing to 20 Nm and
 > doing 1 pass over all of the nuts turning 90 degs. and a second pass over
 > all of the nuts turning another 90 degrees.  That is different from torquing

That's the procedure when installing a head.  The procedure is different
for retorquing.  To retorque you back off one nut, torque to 20 Nm,
add 180 degrees, then procede to the next nut in a cross-wise pattern.

 > These gaskets are not meant to be retorqued. If you are sure the leak is

If the head has been removed, yes... replace the gasket.   However
retorquing is required about 600 M (1000 Km) after installing a head
and is part of the 600 Mile/1000 Km service on a new bike (third item
on the BMW official checkoff sheet).

// marc