R1100S Paralever /swingarm play

Jack,

     Bob is correct; they are tapered roller bearings, both at the swingarm
and at the final drive, at least on my '94 RS. Any side to side movement is
bad; sometimes the bike moving on the centerstand can mask real results of a
check. IIRC, they are preloaded to 7Nm with the large allen bolts. I've
found a couple that were "notchy" at 40k miles , but never loose. Did the
bike feel "loose" when you rode it? You also hinted at a noise: ?

     I've never taken the preload adjustment to be routine maintenance,
simply the procedure to use when re-installing the swingarm/final drive.
Sorry, can't find anything on the IBMWR site for oilheads, but I agree with
Bob, the Haynes manual is good. Best of luck.

Conrad Long
'94 R1100RSA
Fraser, CO USA