Re: Oil Consumption

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:24:32 -0500, "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Gee, sorry.  I should have said "Never add more than 4 oz. of oil AT A
> TIME".

Geez... it must take you a LONG time to change the oil, eh? : >  )

> ...I don't believe anything I read on the internet.   Thought eveyone
> knew
> that.

I think you are exactly correct regarding oil level checking and adding
criteria.  If I have any level in the window while the engine is hot
and the bike is on the center-stand I do not add oil.  If not, I only
add a couple of hundred cubic centimeters, never more.

In those past instances when I used to add enough to bring it up to
somewhere between the center dot and the top while hot I used a bunch
of oil between changes and the right air-box drain and the downstream
intake tract appeared to be weeping a fluid causing discoloring at the
joints.  Now that does not happen.

As long as I can see oil to the top of the sight glass while on the
side-stand I am not going to worry about engine damage due to a low oil
level.

FWIW the difference between the top and bottom of the sight-glass is
only 0.5 liters.  And the maximum difference in the indicated oil level
due to temperature is 10 millimeters (0.39 inches).

cheers.... jack, '04 R1100SA, Waterford, Connecticut, U.S.A.