Oil Temp

Duke:

>If I am correct, only the RT had thermostat.  Which, as you know, serves
only to determine the minimum temperature.

I all oilheads have the thermostat.  It allows the oil to bypass the oil
cooler until the bike warms up.   Faster warm-up equals lower emmissions and
fuel consumption.

AS I understand it, the RT has
the thermostat to ensure heat comes out of the fairing heat ducts.  So, that
your RT runs a bit hotter than your RS in cooler weather should be normal

Duke, the heat in the air ducts comes from the oil cooler.   If the
thermostat were there to ensure heat coming from those ducts, the engine
would run cooler...warmer air, cooler oil...heat transfer.   By the way, the
only thing those ducts really do is allow airflow for the oil cooler.  They
sure don't warm your hands!....They do help to sell bikes, however.

RT runs warmer in cold weather because the engine is encased in plastic
keeping it out of the wind...all but the heads.   Try running an RT with the
side fairings off (yes, it's easily done) in cool weather...takes forever to
get it warm and it runs at only 4 bars.   I went to one of our club meetings
with my side farings off and one of the members gave me that grave, serious
look and said they were sorry about what happened to my bike.    Keeeripes!

To the guy want's to "put the thermostat on his RS"....It's already there.

- -TB