Re: TECH: Re: R1100RS mystery

In a message dated 10/29/04 9:33:45 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
obray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<<A few questions are in  order:

Have any of you burned valves, or had severe leakage in a  cylinder,
similar
to what I've described? Or heard of another bike  similarly disposed?>>

Yours is the third that I  have heard about in the last year. The other two
were RT's, but that's the same  motor (late 90's era). All ate a section out of
an exhaust valve. A ten-minute  leakdown test would have revealed the problem
well before failure, if the  technician knew to perform the test. Any attempt
to synch the throttle bodies  would have been near impossible, sending up a
big red flag that there was valve  or combustion chamber trouble to be
investigated.

Of  course, most technicians seem totally unable to see the motorcycle as an
integrated system, nor are they able to recognize warning signs.

Tom  Cutter

Tom Cutter