Re: newbie

gator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> Hello, I am new here just bought a 2000 r1100rs. First oilhead but I
> >> have
> >> several airheads. Couple of quick questions anybody using an Autocom or
> >> similar unit if so where did you mount it? Is there like an archive of
> >> good tips?
> >
> > I have a 2000 Autocom Pro and I love it. Lengthy "why I love my Autocom"
> > write-up available upon request. I have an R1100S, and I mounted the box
> > above the right electrical box in the fairing. A tight squeeze. I ran
> > audio cables to a home-made junction box that mounts to the frame under
> > the seat so I can hook up rider, and optionally pillion. GPS and FRS go
> > directly into the Autocom.
>
> I am a bit interested in the junction box I have not been able to find
> anything that plugs into the autocom din plugs.

I built my own. I went to an electronics store and bought a small aluminum
"project box" with one end being just big enough to accommodate 2 DIN
sockets. A 10-foot MIDI cable cut in half connects those sockets to plugs
that hook into the Autocom using. I used Automotive Goop, a liquid adhesive
that stays flexible when it dries, as a sealer on the top end of the box
where the cables exit. The mechanism looked "pro grade" when it was
completed. I'll send you a picture by email.

- -Steve Makohin
 2001 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada