Re: R1100RS

Rob,

What you write and experienced goes to confirm a belief I've had for a
few years now. BMW seems to produce bad bikes individually. The overall
BMW experience depends on the bike so one bike will have no issues and
another nothing but issues. Overall the failure rate isn't higher or at
least much higher than other bikes, but if you get a bad one, you're in
for hell.

Your bike seems to be the champ of bad. Clearly there are lemon bikes or
cars. In the old days, wrenches used to ID them by saying such vehicles
or other mechanical items were plagued by gremlins. This is a derivation
of the fairy folk common to European myth. Whether it's hell beings or
just a bike that got tweaked somehow along the way, isn't the issue. The
issue is that clearly there are bikes which can't be made right. We've
all heard of bikes that have gone through 2 or 3 final drives and then
seem to disappear from the radar. I'm guessing the owners sell them and
then we don't hear from the new owners beause they're not on the boards.

Valve burn if caused by owner error in maintenance (or any error) is
clearly identifiable.  I'm a bit bothered by BMW here in that you have a
bad bike so IMO, it should have evaluated the valves and if it was't
poor maintenance, then done something. If I, a no issues bike, showed up
with 44k and burnt valves, I don't think BMW had any obligation to
investigate at all.

Personally, were BMW to be a decent company, I think the right thing to
do for you is for BMW and the dealer to share expenses and offer you a
new bike at a deep discount. I know my dealer did that with BMW when an
owner bought a used bike from the dealer and suffered catastrophic
failure within 30 miles. Both entities participated and got the fellow
quite satisfied and thus loyal to the BMW brand and this dealer.

I commend you on your patience. After transmission #2 failed, I would
have demanded a new bike. Oh, my guess is you have a bad main engine
casting, but what the hey do I know.

- -Paul