Re: R1100RS Mystery

>> Have any of you burned valves, or had severe leakage in a cylinder,
>
> similar
> to what I've described? Or heard of another bike similarly disposed?
>

> It's no mystery to me.  The only way you can burn valves like that is
> to either be running much too lean a mixture.  This could be caused by
> a leaking intake between the throttle body and cylinder head, or
> fiddiling with the throttle position sensor.....Or, more likely, the
> dealer misadjusted your valves or didn't tighten the lock nuts.   It
> is not nomal at all for these bikes to burn valves, no matter how hard
> you ride them.

I disagree with much in your post, but will only comment on some things.
Here, I can't see the extreme lean condition to be a fact because it
would create a dramatically unbalanced engine surely noted by the rider
/ owner or the shop. Also if the dealer didn't tighten the locknut, the
valve would loosen and clatter. BMW valves do not tighten in this
situation.

> leery after
> 5 transmissions,
>
> This tells me that the dealer doesn't know how to install
> transmissions correctly.

Let's get real here. This isn't some screen door company that started to
sell bikes. It's an authorizied BMW dealer who would surely figure out
after transmission #? that something is awry and take great care in the
next one. Yet here he goes through 5. There is clearly something wrong
here beyond the transmission installs. BMWNA kept authorizing new ones
and they wouldn't do that if the installs were all wrong. Either that or
they'd insist the dealer's wrenches get retrained.

>> a sight glass blow out,
>

> Probably caused by overfilling the oil.   I've written you about this.

and again BMW warranteed it. I think this isn't so simple to conclude
it's rider error again. IMO, this is a bad design and I"m unclear why
more don't flex out. Here, if the problem is a tweaked main case, then
the problem with the transmissions and the sight glass could be linked.
I think it simpler to assign the problem here to a bad main case than
postulate that the dealer makes the same error over and over on the
transmission AND the rider is a bozo who over fills AND then the dealer
can't figure out how to adjust the valves.

> fuel pump failure,
>
> Bizzare.  I've heard of a lot of problems with fuel filters, caused by
> overfilling the tanks and having gas back up into the crankase
> ventilation canisters.  The charcoal gets wet with fuel and then the
> fuel comes back with charcoal in it that clogs the filters.  Never
> heard of a fuel pump going, however.

Again you blame this owner with no evidence whatsoever that he's a bozo.
First he overfills the oil, now the gas or did you just throw this in
for the heck of it since you don't say the over filling causes pump
failures?

> and now the
> top end
> problems,
>
> Totally strange.  One other possibility is that you've used nothing
> but really cheap gas in it.

Now the owner is 4X a bozo.

- -paul

- --
paul DOT cassel aT
gMail dot COM

It's well past the time the gene pool got a good dose of chlorine.