Bob's New GS

Bob:

Congratulations on the new GS.   As you know, I'm a fan of these bikes.
I'm still tempted by them and by the idea of touring more jeep trails.

A couple of advantages to the GS.over RT and RS:

You can lay your legs on the cylinders if you're wearing boots..  It's kind
of nice for short periods on long rides to have this option now and then.

Metzler Tourance tires rock!   They're great in twisties.   They shouldn't
stick as well as they do.  They last longer than road radials too.

If you want more wind protection, Aeroflow makes a windscreen and a lower
unit that blocks wind from most of the places between the tank and the
cylinders.  They can be   Mount you extra lights with this in mind.

Disadvantage is that the accessories are all different and you have to
re-buy.  Cases, nice seat, windscreen (s), tank bag, all that sort of stuff.

Don't forget Gerbings electrics...the antidote for a drafty bike.

Have fun.   I'm jealous, but I'm holding out for these other two new bikes
before I decide.

As you suspected, the new R1200ST will replace the R1150RS.

Your new bike is faster than you can imagine.   Wait until you see how
nicely it revs all the way to red line without sounding like its falling
apart.   The rev limiter is really necessary on this bike because it stays
smooth and wants more all the way up.   I hit the limiter several times on
my ride.

Life begins at 5000.

- -TB

>Steve, Clive and all,  Yes. Many interesting pictures around these
days.  I think the RT looks great except for the mirror/directional
pods hanging out there.  Like you said, I reserve judgement until
seeing in the flesh.

>What are you thinking about the R1200ST?  Looks ok to me.  I was
planning on waiting for the RS version, which I expect is this ST.  But
the GS started to grow on me, so I bought one.  Just got to 660 miles
yesterday.  It's a great bike, but there are a couple of things I will
need to get used to.  The 6 speed is one gear too many on the street.
I like the sit up position, but not the hand position on the bars.
Much preferred the angle on the RS.  I also get a lot more air over the
legs, which makes cold weather riding a bit different.  But the motor
is really good!  Runs like a top, and I will soon get to explore the
power as it gets more broken in.

Bob Hadden '05R12GS, '62R27