Re: oilheads-digest V1 #346

Jack Bunce wrote:

>  BMW Motorcycle operating profit is (I think) down by about 13.3% for
> the first three quarters of 2004.

This is not a function of sales alone. I believe that significant funds
have been and continue to pour into new model development.

> In Connecticut, our newest dealer, Cliff's BMW in Danbury,...
>
> Our other Connecticut BMW dealer is Canton Cycles...

So, Lindners in New Canaan is closed up and gone now?

> To succeed It must take customers away from the Japanese brands.
> Multi line stores can help them do that by offering a potential
> customer an attractive place to shop for a wide variety of motorcycles
> which are essentially different from the ujm machine while still
> containing those elements of the ujm which are responsible for their
> wide appeal.

I love multi-line stores, particularly when they include a european
brand.  They break up the "sameness" of the showroom, and offer more
than mere choice; they offer riders options as their riding styles
change and mature.  When I was still buying Hondas and Suzukis, having
the BMWs also sitting there in the showroom exposed me to sides of the
sport that I would not have seen otherwise.  Here were high-end bike
being purchased by people my father's age (now, my age) who had been
riding a long time and clearly had the money for just about anything
they wanted, or so it seemed to me.  Those early memories are certainly
a part of why i ever gave BMW a second look. If would be nice for the
guy who rides a Ninja and eventually decides the thing is too damn
uncomfortable, to have an option easily at hand. Something to "step up"
to...

- --
Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun