Re: Longevity etc.

Linda -

I have a boxer R bike with low miles and under warranty (including roadside
assistance) and an old Gold Wing with 100K miles on it.  If I don't want to
worry about being stranded, I take the Beak-y little BMW.  If I want to just
enjoy the open road on my big hog, and the trip is within reasonable dstance to
have my wife or daughter come and rescue me, I take the big Gold Wing.

I guess my suggestion is that, unless you are Jesse James or Indian Larry, a
long trip on a 5 year old bike with more than 50K miles is a crap shoot.....
Also - might want to review tranny maintenance if you have had two failures
(bearing and gear) clustered as you described.

Happy riding!  Bob