Re: valves adjustments

Marco S Hyman wrote:

>... That joy hasn't transferred to
>my R1150RT, though.  It gets ridden to the dealer every 6K.  I think
>part of the reason was that I didn't like the hassle of removing the
>plastic on the RT to get at anything...
>

>Anyway, I spent about 30-45 minutes per side getting each pair of
>valves as close to matching as my fingers can feel.   I then rode
>the bike a bit to help warm it up.  Back in the driveway I hooked
>a twin-max to the throttle bodies and let the bike idle a few minutes
>until 5 bars showed on the temp guage.  Some minor adjustments to the
>air bypass screws got the idle balanced at the appropriate RPM.
>The balance held at RPM; no further adjustments were needed.
>
>It makes a difference.   Not a lot, but noticeable.   Giving that level
>of care to valve adjustments is not something I'd be willing to pay my
>dealer to do at $75/hr or whatever he's charging these days.  It is,
>however, well worth doing myself.  I've just got to get over my
>reluctance to pull the left side plastic panel.   Maybe I'll make
>that my New Year Resolution.

In looking at photos of a RT, I don't see why you have to remove any
plastic to do the valve adjustment unless it is to access the hole for
the timing marks. Is that it?  Is it hard to take off the panel?  Those
little battery operated screwdrivers can be used to zip out fairing
fasteners if you don't have an air driven 1/4" ratchet...

- --
Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun