Re: Ideas?? Quit in rain. (Clogged injectors)

In a message dated 1/3/2005 8:09:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Tpcutter@xxxxxxx writes:
    I never bother. I have NEVER found a clogged  injector on a BMW.
Tom,

Realizing that clogged injectors are rare, I would however like to let it be
known that it can happen. For me, it was on my 1100GS with about 50K on the
clock. This was determined by the dealer who was able to diagnose the problem by
replacing the injectors, and by process of elimination, determining that one
injector was clogged.

The culprit appeared to be a K&N air filter I had been running for 40K miles.
(I switched back to, and have continued to use only OEM air filters in my
bikes since then.)

About 10K later, the bike once again started running poorly, in the same
manner previously caused by the clogged injector. Installing a new throttle cable
resolved 50% of the problem. To resolve the remaining problem, I ran a couple
of containers of STP Injector Cleaner (the black bottle) over the next 4-5
tanks of gas. Problem solved, to my surprise and relief. (Injectors cost over
$200 each.)

I now routinely run a bottle of STP Injector Treatment (the white bottle)
between every oil change, pouring in 1/2 bottle per tank beginning about 600
miles before the scheduled oil change to avoid having this chemical spend too much
time in the crank case due to blow-by in the cylinders. I follow this same
routine with my cars as well. At less than $2.00 per bottle, I consider it to be
cheap insurance.

I understand that a lot of riders follow this same procedure using Chevron's
Techron Injector Treatment. I'm not qualified to say one brand of injector
treatment or cleaner is better than another. I can only say that STP worked for
me, and therein lies my prejudice. Better Living Through Chemistry. Naturally,
YMMV.
Gary Prickett
Mission Viejo, CA