Re: Best Statement on this list so far...

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "David E.B. Smith" <davidebsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <oilheads@xxxxxxxxx>; <wateredg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: Best Statement on this list so far...

> > There are 4 stages of competence:
> >

> For a more technical version of this, see this article:
>
> http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html

Have used that training model for many years and in various
settings ie sports, professional etc.
Hopefully, we are always moving along that range (both up and
down) and never stagnate at one level. Nor is moving down bad, if
it involves growth.

Once we reach unconscious competence, growing typically implies
regressing down the levels. You can be unconscious competent and
stay there and stop growing. But if you push your limits, you'll
find yourself moving down to conscious competent or even
conscious incompetent. Part of growth.

We are all plagued by being unconscious incompetents at many
times and in many areas. Truly the worst place to be. You can
only realize that you are not competent when you are confronted
with the task and the difference between what is required and
what you can deliver dawns on you. At that moment, you become
conscious incompetent and are on your way to growth.

So in a way, we should all strive to operate at the conscious
incompetent level as a minimum. This is where we feel the
inadequacy that spurs us on to develop skills.

So how does this relate to brakes?
If you've never practiced panic braking, you are at the
"unconscious incompetent" thinking that there's nothing to it.
Only when you put yourself to the test, can you confirm. Ie if
your bike can stop from 100mph in 120 feet and all you can do is
stop in 150 feet, you suddenly enter conscious incompetent level.
You now know. This is a good place to be. Now you have a choice.
You can decide to remain where you are or you can improve. but
you no longer have delusions of how effective you are at braking.
That's a real world application.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929