Kickstand down - bike shuts off

On 1/28/2005 11:18 AM, BobFV@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> BTW this safety feature is easily defeated by unplugging the little
>> electrical wire at the top of the kickstand.
>>

> Not a good idea. This allows you to put the bike in gear and ride off
> with the sidestand down, as far as the first left turn. Not that any of
> the skilled near-professional riders on this list would ever do such a
> thing, of course.

Both of you are correct.  Prolly not a good idea, in absolute terms.
However, I didn't feel like spending a C-note on the parts, and doing the
work involved, so I unplugged the wire on my 97 RT, which only took a
moment. That was a few years ago, and I haven't had a problem since.  I rode
for 25 years without this safety feature, so I developed a strict routine
habit of putting up the side stand the moment I mount the bike, prior to
starting it.
Really a subjective matter.  Each of us can decide our individual propensity
for risk taking, or absent mindedness, and decide the choice with which we
are most comfortable.  Not worth using up a lot of bandwidth.

Al