Re: Head light out?

At 12:40 PM 3/5/2005 -0800, Brian wrote:
>I rode (99 RT) over to Post Falls Idaho on Friday morning taught a class
>1-5 PM and headed on back to Everett (north of Seattle).  Around 6:30 PM
>it's starting to get dark and I was having trouble seeing the road signs
>and needed gas so I pulled off and I couldn't see anything.  Zipping up to
>the pumps I hopped off and looked at the head light.  The small "parking"
>light was working fine.  The regular low beam was not working, the Hi-beam
>WAS NOT working, the flash to pass Hi-beam WAS working???
>Being 45 miles from the nearest city that had an autoparts store and motel
>I reluctantly got back on the freeway and followed cars & trucks to the
>next town.
>I pulled the headlight bulb and it looked fine.  The parts guy said it had
>a spec of dust or summat on it and it was bad so I purchased a new one and
>installed it.  Same thing!  Only flash to pass worked.  I pulled the
>switch apart as well as I could in the low level of light and it was dirty
>but I couldn't do anything at that time so I put it together and found a
>room.  Looking at the Haynes I see it has no special fuse (pulled all last
>night and they all look fine) and traded the load relief relay with the
>horn relay and still nothing.  Any clues?  I haven't gotten into checking
>any wires but thought I'd ask if anyone else has come across this and what
>their fix was.
>
>--
>Brian Diver
>PDQ Signs   Everett, WA www.pdq-signs.com
>425-252-6110

Brian,
   It's probably in the Hi/Lo switch.  When the contacts get dirty they
get hot, when they get hot they sink into the plastic. The
Passing contacts hardly ever get used so they almost always
work.
   You 'could' probe pin #7 of the left hand switch gear connector
and check for 12V there.  If it's missing, trace it back to the right
hand switch gear connector pin #4.  Do you have a Euro switch?
That makes things a little different.

Mick
Tucson