RE: Oil Burning

Tom says:

> I ran my R1100S 2200 miles in the  last 6 days, less than 200
> miles on slab
> of any type. Much of the miles were  with the pegs dragging,
> HARD throttle
> on/off, in the Deals Gap area of NC/TN and  the Blue RIdge
> Parkway area. Used
> about 400 cc of oil. The bike just rolled over  40,000 miles,
> and uses less oil,
> and runs smoother with better torque and peak  power than at
> any time since
> new.
>
> Tom Cutter
> Yardley,  PA

FWIW: I have owned a '96 R1100RT for 4 years and put on 45K of the 85K total mileage. It has consistently used an ounce of oil every hundred miles. Folks who follow me have occaisionally commented on the burning oil smell, but there is no visible smoke or excessive soot buildup on the pipe.
Then 6 weeks ago I did one of Reg Pridmore's CLASS sessions at Willow Springs. Every shift was at the redline for two hours. I've subsequently ridden about 1500 miles and I haven't added any oil. The level has dropped from the middle of the sight glass to about one quarter of the glass.
Maybe it took 85K to seat the rings. Seems very unlikely, but I can't come up with another explaination. <shrug>

Cheers,

Bob Covey
Thousand Oaks CA
'96 R1100RT