Re: A question on rear tire fitment

Mick wrote:

> At 11:25 PM 5/19/2005 -0400, RSRiding@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> 'heads,
>>
>> There is a rear wheel on ebay for an R11S (5" rim). A 17" incher
>> would give
>> me some options for my '94 RS that I don't have with the 18" stock
>> rim (I'd
>> like to be able to use a Metlzer ME880 in the upcoming Iron Butt
>> Rally, but there
>> isn't a bias version in an 18" size)
>>
>> Would a rim for the R11S fit on a '94 RS without causing undue distress?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Geoffrey Greene
>> Knoxville, Tennessee
>

> Geoffrey,
>   You need the rear 5" wheel off of an early K1200RS (this is what I
> use on
> my '96 R11RT) or one from an early K1200LT.  I too like running the
> ME-880
> bias ply tires and this is exactly why I switched.  I think I paid
> $175 for the
> rear wheel, watch ibmwr.org/marketplace and ebay.
>   I'm running the 120X70X17 front and 160X70X17 rear ME-880s
>
> Mick
> Tucson

I was going to make the same switch and put a K12RS rim on, but the
ME-880 is now available in the correct 160/60-18 so there is no need to
buy a new rim to run these tires.  If you have another reason to switch
rims, you definately want a K12 rim not a R11S rim.

Davis Eichelberger
'96 R1100RT
SW Virginia