From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Tom Brown
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 7:18 AM
To: BMW Oilhead List
Subject: Spark Plugs

The other favorite for Oilheads is Bosch 4418.   My 1100 and 1150 both
ran
considerably smoother after installing them.

Cold starts suffer a tiny bit, I think because the temperature of the
4418 is about half a heat colder than stock, but they're terrific
otherwise and great
for long trips, slugging in traffic in the heat etc.   About $5 at NAPA.

They are the 4 conductor platinum plugs used on a lot of German cars.
Unlike
the Autolights, they're not any closer to the piston than stock plugs.

Remember, the late Bob Lenconi eventually fried pistons at a bit less
than 100K on his RS after all his engine mods.  He used Autolights but
also
advanced his timing and used mid grade gas almost exclusively.   I think
his
problems were caused by the combination of all these things.

- -TB