A story about Oilhead Filler Caps

Fredrick:

I've had terrible luck with stock oil filler caps.   I bought one with a
metal sleeve (insert?) that fastens to the bike with set screws.   It really
seals well to the head cover.   The filler cap is also made of metal and has
a really good Viton gasket that never leaks.  I've been very happy with this
setup.   It's trouble free.  You don't have to periodically take everything
apart and clean it to prevent oil leaks.  It just works.  I think I got mine
from Suburban Machinery.   They make nice stuff.   It had an Allen socket in
the top...same size that fits the oil plug on the bottom of the engine.  I
had this 50+K miles on my R1100RT and it worked flawlessly.

I bought an 1150 twin-spark after that.   The head cover on that has a lip
around it that helps contain leaking oil a bit better, but I still ended up
buying a threaded cap setup for that.   I sold that bike at 20K to buy my
R1200RT.  Lo and Behold, the new RT has a threaded cap that seems to hold.
I did replace the O-ring with a fatter one from my stash after losing one on
the road.   This has been perfect.  No leaks no matter how hard I ride the
bike.

A word of caution:  A friend of mine wanted to install his new threaded
insert and cap just before a trip.   He was in a hurry and thought he could
install the insert without removing the valve cover.   He dropped the tiny
2mm set screw down into his engine and couldn't find it.   I even came over
late that night with magnets and special lights to fish it out.  No luck.
He had to cancel his trip and have the left side of his engine dismantled to
find the screw...which was perched between the timing chain and the
tensioner.   Might have caused damage if he'd started the bike.

Lessons learned.  1. Threaded filler caps are better than bayonett filler
caps.  2.  Just take the cover off to install one of these metal inserts.
It takes about 12 minutes and you do not want to drop the little screw down
in the engine.

- -TB