Re: valve adjustment - feeler friction

At 7:56 AM -0600 11/11/05, Mark Rivera wrote:
>I think this might be one of those things you just have to
>experience in person, but I'm in the middle of my first valve
>adjustment and am wondering about how much friction there should be
>on the feeler gauge.
>
>Since the answers to that would probably be vague, let me ask a more
>specific qualitative question instead:
>
>When the adjustment is correct, do the pivoting feet on the rocker
>arm have any angular/pivotal play in them? By 'feet' I mean the part
>that contacts a feeler gauge on its rocker-arm-facing side.
>
>I have it set where the feet are seen to barely, barely, barely
>pivot when I flex the feeler gauges... small enough that the range
>of motion is almost non-visible. Too tight? Too loose?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark
>97 R1100R

A sometimes-humorous article has been written on this, the OVAD
manual. OVAD means Oilhead valve Adjustment for Dummies. If you can
get past the jokes and banter, their technical approach is sound, and
they offer as good a description of "feel" for the valves as I've
seen.

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/

Cheers.