Re: R1200S

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph. D." <microdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: R1200S

> > Comparing the new R12S to either an R-1 or CBR929-54 or especially 1000
is
> > stretching it a little. But it makes for eye-catching press.  :)
> >
> > You don't want to try catching either an R-1 or a Fireblade with the new
S.

> > But that's not what this bike is about anyway. It has strengths that the
> > other 2 don't have, but in other areas.

> I am so jealous of you guys. I just heard about the R1200S a few days ago,
> and some of you have already ridden the bike enough to pass judgment and
> make statements .
>
> Damn! You are so lucky........ ;^)

Err, Ahem.   :)

Those happen to be my statements. And I am looking forward to riding the
R1200 S.

But riding it is not necessary for the above statements.
I've ridden the R1100S half a dozen times. And I know that giving it another
25hp and 50lbs less is not going to help it catch one of the Big 4
SuperSports. Or even keep them in sight, for that matter.

I guess that's why I chuckled at the headlines. But that's not the purpose
of the new R-S.
It has other qualities that those bikes don't. And I guess that's what I
meant to say.

It's probably difficult for someone who has never ridden an openclass
SuperSport to imagine the level of performance available in acceleration. As
example, when I test rode the K12S and K12R, I was underwhelmed in terms of
power in comparisson to my 929. And we won't even go near the newer R-1's
GSX-R's, ZX 10R CBR1000.

In comparisson, when I test-rode the 05 GSX-R1000, I was shocked at the
enormity of power. In second  and third, I had to concentrate to keep the
front wheel down. So we're talking power wheelies at over 100mph. None of
that chop the throttle, quickly open throttle while pulling up on the bars
nonsense. It really is another dimension in performance.

But that is neither here nor there in terms of what I find interesting about
the R1200S.

So when I see a headline like that, I chuckle to myself.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides