Re: Shoot David Robb!

Hello Marco,

From: "Marco S Hyman" <marc@xxxxxxxxx>

> "Steve Makohin" writes:
> > upgrade. I like the R1200S's styling, but it's too "sport" and no
> > touring
> > (which is exactly what BMW intended). The R1200RT, a "transformer"
> > look-alike, is mostly touring, though a great-handling world-class
> > tourer.
> > The R1200ST is so hideously ugly, the negative styling overshadows the
> > bike's otherwise splendid performance as a sports-tourer.
>
> You left out the GS, IMHO the best touring bike that BMW makes :-)

Just a highly-subjective opinion on the GS: I've always thought the styling
was "dirt-bike ugly." I recently saw the new R1200GS at the Toronto bike
show, and I must say that it looks rather attractive (on styling alone) for
a dual-sport. It looks like BMW played down the "front fender is a mile high
off the wheel and looks like a big duck's bill" aspect of GS styling of the
past, and made it much more attractive.

Subjective style statements aside, Cycle Canada is known for their honest,
accurate, free-of-hyperbole reporting, and they called the R1200GS the best
motorcycle made. I accept that. It's just not my cup of tea.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada